sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Thursday, May 5, 2011

That's it, it's over!

I'm ending an unhealthy relationship.

Sometimes this person is great, but sometimes awful. This person remembers all my mistakes and brings them up when I am feeling my worst. This person is constantly reminding me of how I don't stack up to others; in the way I dress, act, think, feel, and act as a sister, daughter, mother, wife, and friend. This person has unusually high expectations of me and doesn't seem content with anything I've done. This person knows all my most frightening fears and likes to remind me of them often, while under the guise of being "realistic" and "protecting", or worse, "motivating" me. This person can get so angry with me and keep me from the people and things I love. One word from this person can cut deep, leaving me wounded for days. Sometimes all I see is disappointment in this person's eyes.

I've tried reasoning with this person, ignoring the hurtful words.

But I'm not going to listen anymore. I'm  going to build myself up when this person tried to say something negative. I plan to laugh at this person when they accuse me of being selfish, awful, stupid, ugly, fat, a terrible person.

I hope you don't have a voice like this in your life, I hope you have someone to encourage you, love you, pick you up when you are down, who believes in you when you need it most.

It may be a silly way to make the point, but have you guessed who I'm ending it with?

Yep, its the nasty voice in my own head. I'd never tolerate being treated this way by someone else, why accept it by myself? How about you? Are you treating you well?

No comments:

Post a Comment