sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Friday, October 1, 2010

Learning not to compare at storytime...

I recently attended Storytime at my local library.

(Sidenote: Many, if not most or all libraries offer free story times for various age groups. If you are a stay-at-home-Mom/Dad or just have some time during the day - I've found they are scheduled on weekdays most of the time - its a worthwhile experience.)

Storytime is great. My local library coordinates it by age, so One Philly Son is in a group with children his age, doing activities that are appropriate (read: short and exciting - you know, anything to keep their attention) for his age group.

And while I was there it dawned on me #1 how easy it is to get into the game of comparing our kids, ourselves, etc #2 how dangerous comparing can be, and  #3 how pointless comparing is.

I saw a Mom and Son at storytime who I'd run into in the past. And immediately began the mental checklist. Her son is taller, more verbal, and walking. Heck, he even has more teeth and hair than One Philly Son. Geez! So I immediately switch to the is she working or staying at home? line of thinking. Maybe because she's home she has more time/money to talk/teach/sing up for classes/whatever with her son? And that's why he's, what, taller?

What exactly was I trying to figure out?

So it became pretty clear to me pretty quickly that this sort of comparison is silly and pointless. I know nothing more about her than her son's name and his approximate age. I have no idea where she's from, whether she works or stays home, if she's married, where she lives, how she lives, etc, etc, etc.

So what the heck am I doing trying to figure out if she's better than me or if I'm better than her? Cause really, what other reason is there to compare all that stuff? Clothes, car, house - who's is bigger or nicer? Husband, kids, dogs - who's are better looking and better behaved? Body, hair, face - who's is skinnier and prettier?

Well, I'm gonna tell ya, none of that s**t matters! Because, as we all know, none of that is what's important!

What do you think of your life? Not as it compares to someone else's, just yours. It may be interesting to compare to the dreams you had for your life, or what you're striving for your life to be, as sort of an interesting comparison. But really, no comparison makes sense. Because it'll never be apples to apples, you'll always be comparing your bruised apples to your perception of someone else's perfect oranges. (or vice versa, but you get the idea)

So today, don't worry about how you stack up to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment