sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review of Cooperage

So it is almost already a week since we ate at Cooperage so I thought I should finally get around to letting you know how it went.
I really liked the atmosphere to start with. Water glasses are mason jars with handles, and your silverware will be rolled in a cloth napkin standing up in said mason jar. The plates remind me somehow of what you'd imagine the quintiscencial Southern Grandma would have. White but designed something along the lines of this,  but less elegant, more  country. Its the kind of laid back, don't-feel-like-you-have-to-be-on-your-best-behavoir place that I really like.

We were there for Restaurant week, so didn't really explore the full menu, but there were lots of options on the Restaurant week menu.

I started with Hushpuppies, which I'd never had before, but came served with blueberry spread which was really yummy. Then I had the Summer Berry Salad, which was just ok. But I love salads served with fruit, berries and nuts, so I might have high standards than some. My dinner was the Scallops which came with a yummy Sweet Pea sauce. My final course was the Peach Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream.

There are some spicy options on the menu, but I (who can't/doesn't/won't eat spicy food) was able to find plenty of non-spicy options to choose from, even on an abbreviated Restaurant Week menu.

My brother had the Gumbo, only complaint there is that they didn't bring a spoon. And while Gumbo is not a "soup", a spoon would've been nice. His girlfriend (who's just lovely!) ordered a dessert with chilli and chocolate, which was an interesting combination, but too interesting to really enjoy (chocolate is sacred to me, and again, I don't do spicy). One Philly Daddy is NOT a dessert person, but they were offering a cheese plate in the dessert tray, and One Phily Daddy IS a cheese person.

The cheese plate had 3 cheeses, and a server came to explain the different cheeses, where they were from, and the differences in their tastes and textures. One of the staff told us the guy who delivered the cheeses had worked at DiBruno Brothers, so I imagine he knows a lot about cheeses!

The service was good, the food was good, and the company was great!

I also learned about a blog, http://www.uwishunu.com/ with all kinds of information on events, happenings and restaurants in Philadelphia.

Check it all out!

No comments:

Post a Comment