sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Friday, September 17, 2010

Does meditation lead to a quiet mind?

So, in my quest to be Liz Gilbert (author of Eat Pray Love), I've started, um, meditating . I've loved yoga for years, so I guess meditation might be considered the next logical step...

OK, I've meditated like twice, but the concept fascinates me. My mind goes, not even kidding, a million miles a minute. Have you ever heard that you can't think of two things at once? Well, I can tell you that is bullsh*t, I can simultaneously worry about 5 or 6 things at once. On a good day! Some of them are realistic "did I turn off the stove?" sorts of questions and some of them are just plain ridiculous...

But I'm the first to admit, most of these worries are unfounded and unnecessary.

Its just that I've been doing it for so long, it got to be sort of a habit.

Like smoking or biting your nails. (Hey, I wonder if there's a patch or gum to help with worrying. Probably, but probably only in Europe because the FDA is still testing it...) But I've long since outgrown the usefulness of those constant what-ifs and worries.

I've heard from lots of people you'd never imagine meditating, that they do, and that it is awesome. Tough beer-swilling frat guys all the way to super Type-A's.

I'm not looking for a great Earth-shattering experience or to hear God's voice. Just a little quiet would do just fine, thank you very much. (Although, there are books to aid with Meditating to Attain a Healthy Body Weight, so there are lots of things meditation may help with...)

Oh, and Liz, if you're reading this, don't get freaked out, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment