sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sad day to remind us what is important

Today is one of those days to remind us what is important.

And I'm not sure I'm acting "in-line" with what I think is important.

Today is the funeral for the mother of a good friend of ours. Sadly, this is the third mother-of-a-friend who has passed this year.

While I never met this woman, I care for her son and daugher-in-law (who are those salt-of-the-earth good people who'd never, ever do anything to hurt anyone) and the love they have for her is palpable when they talk about her and her passing.

Unfortunately today is a busy day at work and I made the very difficult decision to not attend the funeral. I'd rather be at the funeral to support my friends, but feel that I need to be at work given some current situations there.

Big scheme of things, never thought I'd pick "work" over "family". But I guess in small ways, I do everyday. When I'm short with my husband if he calls and I'm in the middle of something at work. When I let work intrude on my thoughts when I'm not there.

Luckily, my husband is able to attend the funeral (and agrees with my decision to go to work, even as I continue to agonize over it), so I feel that at least "we" are making our support known.

I hope my friend's know I love them and feel their loss very deeply, even if I "can't" be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment