sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

In the mind of a work-from-home Mom

I am blessed. Truly, honestly, blessed. At my wedding my sister and maid of honor said that I was getting my fairy tale ending, and she was totally right. But just because I’m living my fairy tale ending, doesn’t mean that there aren’t moments, or days when I feel more like Cinderella than the Princess. I wondered just what was going on in my mind when I look around the house and feel that dread of “I can’t manage all of this” so I conducted a steam of consciousness experiment and typed everything I thought for a few minutes.

Here it is:

I really need to sit down and focus on getting this task done, oh, the baby’s crying, better get the pacifier, ok, good, does he look sleepy? Wonder if he needs a nap soon? He slept well last night, but the dogs did wake him, hmmmm, the woke me, should I have coffee? No, I need to watch caffeine while nursing. Dang, the dogs want to go out, do they have to “go” or are they just whining to get outside so they can sit in the sun, not that I blame them, I’d love a few hours on the beach at Playa del Carmen, Mexico right now. So if I let them out, how long can I watch them (since one keeps getting out of the yard) before I REALLY have to get back to work. Ok, they’re not whining anymore, guess it was just the sunshine, damn now the dog’s chasing the cat, argh and the other one is still at the door, maybe that one has to “go”, what’s worse standing at the door or cleaning up dog poop on the floor? Crap! The dog got into the cat litter and I still need to clean that up in the basement, and there’s a load of laundry from One Philly Daddy that needs to be folded and a load of One Philly Son’s that needs to be moved to the dryer, better do that before I forget. Oh! And I hope I don’t forget to call the vet today. The towels probably need to be washed too, when’s the last time we had clean towels? Why is that dog still chasing the cat? Knock it off! Aww, One Philly Son’s pulling his socks off his feet, how darling! I just love my son! I really need to get some work done here, I really hope there aren’t lay offs at work, if there are lay offs, what will I do? Will I keep my job? Will I still want my job? How will we be able to keep saving AND buying all these diapers and boxes of rice cereal. Well, who knows if that will even happen? I shouldn’t waste that energy, I have enough to do! Ok, dogs are still scratching at the door, better let them out. Oh boy, our yard could use some work. But the sun sure is nice.Are they ever going to finish going? Ok, all done, back inside. Oh! And now One Philly Son needs a diaper change. Geez, tomorrow’s a daycare day, better pack his bottles and food before I forget. Wait, wasn’t I doing something? Oh, work! Right, work, better get to it!

So there ya have it, all the secret inner workings of a work-from-home Mom's mind. Fascinating stuff, right?

Happy St Patrick's day - eat, drink, and be merry, but be safe!

1 comment:

  1. I ALWAYS fold my own laundry!
    -One Philly Daddy

    ReplyDelete