sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Work from home day!

As I type this I am sitting at my kitchen table and my son is napping on my lap. The dogs are napping on the couches. And I am working.

Working from home is something I deliberately worked and planned for in my professional life, knowing that I wanted to have as many options open to me as possible once I started a family. I gradually worked myself into a position that was highly independent, internet-research based and did not involve supervising staff. I worked to reduce the number of tasks I had that would require me to be in the office. These plans started years in advance of trying to start a family. I researched work from home proposals on line, interviewed people who were working from home, did research on the benefits and pitfalls.

Probably most importantly, I focused on kicking butt at my job and proving myself to be motivated and accountable, especially when no one was watching. When it came time to officially propose working from home to my boss, I felt very prepared. And I shot for the moon. 3 days at home, 2 days in the office. And I got it!

Two days a week I commute downtown to my office and the other 3 days I am able to sit on my couch, or at the kitchen table and work on my laptop. Honestly, it took almost 2 full months to start adjusting to it. Am I Mom or Employee? How can I be both? How can I work it so no one can tell I’m working from home? If someone calls and they hear the dog, will they take away this perk? Am I focusing enough on the baby while I am working? Would he be better off at day care everyday where he is getting more attention?

But I can honestly say I feel like I’ve worked out a system. I’m always up, showered and dressed and at the computer by the time our offices open. The days I work from home I can even squeeze in a work out. Its made me feel healthier and more energetic. I honestly miss the interaction of people on some of the days I work from home, so I make an effort to call in, even if it is just to chat and feel that human adult connection. Somedays I revel in the freedom to just work and not get caught up in the inevitable office politics. I’ll certainly be eating a lot less Birthday cake this way!

When I first started working from home I worried it wouldn’t last for one reason or another. By now I’ve realized that every extra day I get home with my son is a gift, and all I can do is do my job to the best of my ability. Beyond that I have no control, so for today I’m sipping my coffee, working at the kitchen table, watching my son and loving my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment