sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Too cool for school

One Philly Son's nursery school (which we l-o-v-e love) has a fundraiser in the spring, which consists of the classroom parents constructing an obstacle course in the community room, and inviting friends and family to attend and make a donation to support the programs that they offer.

And the programs include a Whale Watching program, music from an outside music teacher, visits from a local theater, 4-H chicken hatching, and a dog visit from the ASPCA. So the funds, in my mind, are well spent. These are programs at a nursery/pre-school. I know elementary and high schools that don't offer extra programs like this.

Since I have a flexible, work from home schedule (thank you!) I am one of the classroom parents for One Philly Son's class, so I was charged with creating an obstacle that reflected his class, the Rainbow Fish.

In our parent meeting to brainstorm, I was told other parents had done a "pond" with "fishing" - a kiddie pool with a net and some plastic or cardboard fish. So I gathered that, as well as my contribution to the "filler" obstacles - tunnels, riding toys and a small trampoline.

I didn't think I was knocking one out of the park,but I figured I was making a full, classroom parent contribution.

But, an over-achiever, I am not. Apparently.

There were parents with carefully, hand-crafted and hand-drawn ponds, turtles, bees; obstacle courses with multiple steps and parts.

Uh-oh.

I had a brief "oh. shit." moment.

Crap. My stupid kiddie pool and fish were nothing compared to the hours and effort put into these other obstacle courses. I was falling short.

And yet. There were classes who's parents didn't contribute an obstacle at all. 

And I find myself reeling in the urge to make a "at least I'm not as bad as..." speech.

Mind you, I have no desire, nor will I ever, to stay up all hours of the night to hand craft art for a school of 2 - 5 years old to tromp on. But I also don't want to be the Mom who is just phoning it in either.

Due to circumstances, there were times my Mom was the go-to Mom, heading our Girl Scout troops and attending school functions, taking care of classroom parent duties. And there were times we were the ones perpetually without permission slips and gym clothes on the right days. These things happen, and good-Mom's everywhere have different skills, aptitudes, abilities and life circumstances in the 20-odd years of parenting.

The only person I want to compare myself to is myself (sounds easy, doesn't it?) - so I'm trying to avoid the "oh, poop, I'm not the Martha Stewart of pre-school obstacle courses" and "can you believe the so-and-so class didn't do anything!?" reactions.

Cause neither feels nice, productive, relevant, or something I want One Philly Son or Daughter to learn.

The point is, I want to do my best, and strive for improvement, but accept who I am. I want to be the Mom contributing, but not at the cost of my or my families happiness or well-being (or sleep). But, I don't want to be the Mom bringing in the bare minimal requirements of involvement.

Next year, I'm gonna step up my kiddie-obstacle course game. Look out!

Until then, have fun fishing, kids!



1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully said from your over achieving mother. :)

    ReplyDelete