sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Monday, April 1, 2013

The landmines of Motherhood...


The plan is that we're "done" having babies. And I'm thrilled with it. I'm not old, but I'm not young enough to want to do "this" (i.e. conceive, house, create, birth,and, oh yeah, raise another person) again. I want to love, giggle, laugh with, chase and revel in the two glamorous little beings we've already created.

My sister is expecting, and I, rather tentatively, took in the news. Would this shake my resolve? Would I get the itch? Would I get baby-envy? Would I suddenly have the secret desire to create another life?

Gladly, I did not, and my resolve stood firm. I'm thrilled with my family, just as it is. Should we be blessed with another, we'd welcome him/her with open arms. (Though I am out of "One Philly" Monikers. That would take some thinking. Hmmmm.) But I'm not in the business of baby-making any more.

I gleefully packed bags of items for my sister, and sorted the items she didn't / wouldn't need into a "consign" pile. I've never consigned before, so this is the grand experiment, is this worth the time/effort? Or will I just donate the stuff going forward?

So I've already sorted through the stuff once, in a gleeful Sister / Sell exercise. Now, I'm just tagging and preparing the items for sale to be sold.

And then....the memories started coming, perhaps because this is meant to be the final pass before they go on to live with someone else....




the one silly shirt I bought proclaiming the obvious to the world.


followed by........



Also obvious.


A few short weeks ago, these were items I was joyous to be getting out of my house. Less than 18 months in this house, I'm eager to get the space back from all the baby items we're no longer in need of. Excer-saucers, highchairs, bouncy seats, bassinets, activity mats. 

Necessary, all of them, but bulky and used for such a tiny short window of time. 

Even so, some of the items brought back memories....

Our positive pee-sticks, both planned and still a surprise. One Philly Daddy and I (8 months pregnant and sweating in the July heat) trying to install our car seats. One Philly Daddy filling a baby pool in the yard to make an oasis for his hot and cranky pregnant wife. Me insisting One Philly Daddy take belly shots, and them turning out amazing, and meaning so much more, because it was him taking the pictures.


 The odd sensations of my body not being my own. The mind spinning of trying to figure out just how this was all going to work. The decision to try for One Philly Daughter, and the rainbow we saw the day we found out she was on her way. The joy they bring us. The sleep we lose for them. The stress of wanting to do it right. The fear of frightening medical news. The pride in their first steps, their first words, first jokes, first friends, all the firsts to come. The time we give them instead of ourselves, and each other. The overwhelming love and the yearning desire that it be enough. The beauty and blessing of it all. 

See, I'm just trying to make some room in the garage, and now we're all weepy. 

Be warned, Mommy's-to-be hunting for consignment bargains, these gently used and greatly loved items priced at a discount are going to find a place in your heart, even after you need the space back in your house. 


No comments:

Post a Comment