sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Thursday, January 10, 2013

A grateful nation...

My brother-in-law deploys next week. He's a medic in the Army and this is not his first deployment. He and my sister have a darling 18 month daughter and a new-ish puppy.

This is not a post about politics, the Army or war. This is a post about family and perspective.

Regardless of the location, details, ease, or danger involved, those serving and their families sacrifice a great deal.

This deployment is scheduled for 9 months. That's about 270 days. 270 breakfasts, bedtime stories, and lunches. I'm guessing 40 - 50 loads of laundry. 3 seasons. 2 well-baby visits. A daughter's 2nd birthday. A wedding anniversary. Valentine's Day, 4th of July, Labor Day.

This family has to discuss things most of us are happy to pretend don't exist. They have to think about, anticipate and manage how a father's absence will impact a little girl. How to help her remember his face, his voice until he returns. A wife will become a single parent for a time.

And, they will do it with pride, honor and dedication.

And they do it to protect you, your family, your country, so that you never have to worry about what most of the globe worries about.

Recently, if I'm overwhelmed by keeping the house, undecorating from the holidays, finding places for all our treasures from Santa, working and raising my two babes, I can't help but think that thousands of people give up the privilege of being annoyed by their spouses or children's messes so that I can take for granted my freedoms and security.

I want to say that again, as simply as possible.

My sister and niece give up their husband and father for 270 days so many of us can blindly go through our days never realizing what they've given up for us, so we can take for granted what they voluntarily sacrifice.

If you pray, please pray for our Armed Services and their safety. Pray for their families and children, to give them strength and peace. Pray for the days at home to go fast, and the deployment to be safe and boring.

To all of you deployed or about to be- I thank you for your service. To the families, I am humbled by the sacrifice you make for the rest of us.

Be safe. Be well. Come home soon and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment