sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Monday, August 8, 2011

I wish I may, I wish I might have this wish I wish tonight...

I'm reading Shania Twain's autobiography, a story that starts with her birth and covers her childhood, professional life and a few public heartbreaks along the way. All I can think is "oh no, not another one". Not another helpless child exposed to anger, violence and fear at the hands of her parents. Not another child growing up hungry, unsure, never knowing what the next day will bring.

She's very good at acknowledging the strains and stresses that explain the "how" and "why" her childhood was as it was, and she's far more understanding and forgiving than she needs to be, in my opinion. But that's very good for her.

Still, it's a little heartbreaking to know that fear and confusion are far too common a childhood experience. I'll give you that every child views his or her parents with a critical eye, with the realizations that they aren't perfect after all. But abuse and neglect are not mere human inadequacies.

If you were a child who felt fear and pain as a child, please hear these things I hope you already know: it was not your fault. No child deserves to fear those who should protect and love above all else. You did the best you could. You are loved. You are cherished. You are stronger than what happened to you. You can make it different. You. Are. Loved.

If you were what I'm really hoping is just a silent majority, who's books would be "boring" and your parents provided for you, loved you, protected you, taught you, I am relieved to hear such a childhood exists. It seems far too many are not peaceful and safe. (I'm not talking about squabbles over who sits where or whether or not baths have to happen...)

Let's all do ourselves a favor, please. No more scared kids. No more hungry kids. No more kids confused about things like personal safety, value and love.

If only my wishing it were enough to make it true.

No comments:

Post a Comment