sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Tomorrow is Mother's day, which is cause for additional reflection now that I am, in fact, a mother.

Being One Philly Son's mother is, by far, the most important and amazing thing that has happened to me. Becoming a mother has caused me to see some of my own mother's actions in a kinder light, some in a harsher light. Not unusual, I would expect.

It has caused me to have greater empathy and awe for those parents ('cause really, when there's only one, you're both Mother and Father) who go it alone. It is astonishing to me now (even though from 12 years on, I was raised by just my mother) the fortitude and perseverance and dedication it takes to raise a child alone.

My own sister and best-est friend will join the ranks of motherhood, virtually any moment now. I can NOT wait to share another amazing journey with her. I am sending her thoughts of a healthy labor, delivery, and newest addition to our clan.

I feel such pride in and gratitude to One Philly Daddy as well, that we chose each other as partners in parenthood, forever uniting us in what is currently a 27 lb, 2 foot tall miracle.

It seems such a simple thing. We all have a mother, and many of us are mother's, biologically or otherwise. And yet, the grandest thing lies in the simplest thing, being a mother.

A very happy, blessed, joyous Mother's Day to all of you, whether you be a mother or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment