sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fancy Schmancy!

I did some cleaning and laundry recently, and when I put away our kitchen towels, I found something.
The set of napkins and tablecloth we registered for when we got married. The tablecloth is still in the original packaging, and I don't think we've ever used the napkins either. I also have a full set of china that has never seen the light of day. We registered for many household items on whims, planning to use them in a house we hadn't purchased yet. As usual, things worked out for us, and the towels, dishes, and sheets all matched the home we ended up purchasing and now live in. Probably better than if we'd done it on purpose.

But while I'm very grateful for the generosity we received all those years ago, I am also somewhat embarrassed that I still have unused wedding gifts. We've been married for almost 4 years, so I would think we'd use a tablecloth in that much time! What am I waiting for?! But the truth is, I'm probably saving it until. We have a dining room. Or a table that fits the table cloth. Or any number of other ideas. I'm certainly not alone in this.

I've done this in the past too, saving stickers back in middle school when stickers were the thing to collect. My favorite shirts were saved up for that special day when they could come out of the closet. Of course, many of those stickers and shirts went unused and unworn, dried up or too small by the time the perfect day came around.
So its time to use the finest and nicest, instead of waiting for the "right" day, mood, party, etc, etc, etc.

Go ahead, break out your China! You're worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment