sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Monday, March 7, 2011

Today was my last day physically going to the job I've gone to for 5 1/2 years in downtown Philadelphia.

I have a few more days of work, but not at the location I called "work" for all those years.

Cleaning out my office, files, and desk filled me with all kinds of emotions and reactions.

I remember moving to the area to be with my then boyfriend of one year (now husband of going on 4 years). We were sure we wanted to be together for the long haul, but this was still a big step. My new job involved supervising, something I'd never done and wasn't sure I could do. The women I had the privilege of working with are some of the finest I've ever known.

I remember planning my wedding from my desk, and the bridal shower my co-workers hosted for me at the office. They gave me white silk roses in a vase that have been in my office since the day of the party. I gave them to our receptionist today.

I remember my sister coming in from Kentucky a few days early to surprise me at my office days before my wedding. She and I ceremoniously changed my nameplate from my maiden name to my married name. It was a moment I'll never forget.

I remember promotions and working harder than I've ever worked for a supervisor who trusted me and empowered me as never before.

I remember being pregnant and working on one of the largest events I've ever had to coordinate professionally. I was trying to convince everyone, including myself, that I could be the same worker I'd always been.

I remember feeling proud, accomplished, overworked, appreciated, special and invisible at various times. This is the longest I've been with any employer and by most standards, I was a success. My achievements were many, and I can be and am proud of my work and accomplishments there.

Life changes, and I am eager and excited for the next chapter, but I'm also happy with and proud of the chapter I'm closing.

No comments:

Post a Comment