sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Love, can it ever run out?

I've been thinking a lot lately about a conversation I had shortly after One Philly Son was born. The crux of the issue for the other woman was that she was pregnant with her second child and worried that she wouldn't love her second child as much as she loved her first.

At the time I scoffed at the idea. Love is one of those amazing phenomenon that grows the more you use it or give it away. The more I love the people in my life and the more I love my life, the more love I receive and feel. Ain't that awesome!

But, I've conjured up an alternate Mommy worry. (Which I know is nonsense, but worth voicing.)
What if I love my second (still unconceived) baby MORE than my first baby!?!??

As in, will this amazing, adored, fascinating creature I've been blessed with become old hat? Will he seem droll and boring? Or worse, an irritating distraction from the new and improved amazing creature I hope to be blessed with?

Of course not! I plan/hope to adore all members of my family for their own amazing uniqueness.

But it also seems worthwhile to ackowledge that nonsensical worry, as it will hopefully provide awareness and motivation to make sure amazing baby #1 doesn't feel dumped should amazing baby #2 come along.

Unfortunately this concern did not work for our dog, who definitely got demoted when baby came along! Oh well, we got her another dog to love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment