sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I've been in a funk the past few days. I worked two long days Thursday and Friday last week, while battling a stomach flu which carried into this week (I think...killer headache and nauseous but nothing...happened, if you know what I mean). Then I had a long (but fun) day Saturday, including an overnight stay with One Philly Dad and One Philly Son with my sister and mother. First on Saturday we had a Holiday party (even if it was sort of depressing) where it was nice to catch up with folks I don't see often enough. Then an awesome 40th birthday party, complete with an Ace of Cakes cake. The day involved nearly as many hours of driving as it did of sleep.

Since then, we've taken it kind of easy - some grocery shopping, a nice family dinner out but nothing too strenuous. Still...

My post yesterday was hardly insightful or meaningful. I was just feeling blah.

I'm not sure if its that fact that I'd been reminded at the Holiday Party of just how hard some people have it, or the strange dichotomy of the hardship of the Holiday Party followed by the opulence of the birthday party, or just pure exhaustion... but I was in a funk.

Lucky for me, the clouds seem to be breaking and I can see a bit of (metaphorical) sun peaking through. I don't know if it was the bacon-cheeseburger with fries, the kick-boxing workout One Philly Daddy drug me through or finally getting caught up on some sleep that turned the corner.

Sometimes these things just happen.

Having a funk of a day and letting it ride itself out was a skill I had to learn. Having a parent with an unaddressed and untreated mental illness left me haunted for years...every mood and feeling needed to be evaluated to see if it signified my inevitable fall into (forgive the phrase) craziness.

If I could count the times One Philly Daddy has told me that everyone has down days, sad days, days when they feel fatter, stupider, uglier, poorer, (etc) than everyone else...well, I'd be counting pretty high.

So, in a truly ironic twist, these days, a funk is something of a victory. I'm sad, I'm bummed...I get over it.

How was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment