sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Monday, November 8, 2010

I don't know....Daddy?

I have a confession to make. I've had a very (sub-conscious) narrow-minded view of Daddy's.

Yes, my own father was not an award winning father, but he was certainly not the only man in my life. So, for whatever reason, I assumed that Fatherhood (dun-dun-dun) was an experience fraught with a overwhelming sense of obligation, duty, responsibility, pressure, and financial worry. I suspected Father's (always with  a capital F, of course, this is serious business!) looked at their children and felt a sense of dread at the weight  of overwhelming responsibility. How yuck!

I (wrongfully) presumed that it was only the Mother's who were nurturing, and caring. I presumed only the Mommy's got that sense of pride just looking at their child sleep or watching him/her walk, read, play, laugh, eat. I thought only Mommy's experienced the joy of parenthood.

Was I ever wrong!

I'm not entirely sure where I got this uber flawed idea, because I had a variety of male influences, many who did not fit the mold of the stressed out, resentful Daddy.

Sure, my grandfather is a dyed in the wool, old-school Marine, who I can remember rarely showing affection to my grandmother, but I also grew up with a neighbor, who's mere existence I'm pretty sure saved my life.

This neighbor is an elderly Irish Catholic man who never married, but always loved children. When my home was chaotic, loud, scary, and unpredictable, his was quiet, safe, welcoming and sometimes provided the most basic necessities - shelter and food. He hung a "Happy Birthday" banner in his kitchen window so we could see it as we ate our breakfast for years, and took us to Friendly's for a Conehead Sundae on our special day. He helped us with school projects, work applications, college essays. He always believed in us by never doubting us.

Beyond Pop-pop and my neighbor, I've known father's of friends who were their confidantes and biggest fans, I've known strict Dad's and lenient Dad's, rich Dad's and poor Dad's, loving Dad's and distant Dad's, all kinds of Dad's. So I've observed all kinds, I just got it stuck in my head somehow that none of them really enjoyed being a Dad. I mean, I knew lots of Dad's who were good Dad's, it just never occurred to me that they liked being a Dad. How sad, right? (For me and them.)

Since I've become a Mom, I've noticed more and more that there are loads of Daddy's who dote on, adore, protect, provide for, and yes, feel joy and pride when just looking at their children. There are loads of men who excel at being Daddy's and enjoy it. (One Philly Daddy being one of them.)

I'm a little embarrassed that I had that assumption for so long without even realizing it, but I gotta say, I've never been so happy to be so wrong. And guys, you Daddy's out there doing a great job and loving it, sorry I so underestimated you. Keep up the great Daddy-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment