sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Monday, April 5, 2010

House Update

So we're still waiting for news on the house...unfortunately, the house is the "final step" in a divorce, which means our last, final, won't go any higher offer is now being debated by not only us, our realtor, the seller, her realtor, but also a pair of divorce lawyers.

I know from experience that divorce can be ugly, painful, and can make people do things they never imagined they could do. (To be fair, my experience was as a child during my parent's divorce, so I probably don't have a full understanding of either their relationship, nor the intricacies of their divorce.)

And the last thing I want to do is create more stress and pressure on a situation that might already be pretty stressed. (To be fair, there are those divorces out there that aren't painful and awful.)

I'm reading Dr. Phil's "Family First" and he makes the point, that if you do divorce, it should be done when you can make the decision without emotion, with the knowledge that you have done everything possible to save the marriage. That the decision should be made with a resigned sense of inevitability. I have some doubts  as to how possible that it, but it sounds like a noble goal. So maybe this house isn't a hot bed of chaos and contempt between two people who used to love each other.....

Have you noticed a tendency to think too much about things?

So I'm still in house limbo, and with every tiny swing one way or the other, I swing too. So when it appears there is "no chance" that we'll get the house, I feel myself settle into our cozy (that means "small" in real estate speak) house that I love. I can see my son growing here. I am relieved that we'll be able to keep saving as much as we have and make plans for weekend trips over the summer. And when there's a glimmer of possibility that we "might" get the house, I find myself arranging the furniture in my mind, picking out paint colors and hosting a big picnic in the yard.

I suppose this means I am willing to make the best of either conclusion, and would be happy either way. Which I honestly believe is true. I want only what is best for my family, and trust that that is what will happen. But I sure do waste a lot of energy trying to figure out what that is!

I can't imagine anything will develop this evening, so I'm going to settle into bed with my latest Parents (2-year) magazine and try to enjoy the life I've got, instead of missing it by focusing on what may or may not happen.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment