sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Saturday, March 13, 2010

One Philly Daddy

     OPD here.  1st let me introduce myself.  Wait, I just did that.  Well, a couple interesting things about myself.
     1)I love spaghetti.  It doesn't matter whether it's with butter, olive oil, or sauce.  As long as there is a buttload of grated romano cheese on it, I'm happy.  2)  I think we all missed the boat on sporks.  Our table settings would all be much less crowded.  Enough about me, onto the topic of the day:
4 for 4
     As a father there are lots of things I am responsible for.  I'd like to talk about one of those things that aren't talked about very much: 4 for 4.  Living near a major metropolis like Philadelphia, it is my responsibility to make sure that my child(or children as it might be in the future), grow up rooting for all 4 major sports home teams.  In our case, the Phillies, Sixers, Eagles, and Flyers.  There is nothing worse than a Cowboys fan in Philadelphia.  There is only one reason for that -  BAD PARENTING!  Admittedly, I am not a big Flyers fan, but that's b/c I don't really like hockey.  I still want the Flyers to do well, and that's good enough.  I will still carry out my parently duty of introducing the Flyers to my baby in a positive manner so as to insure he doesn't grow up a Bruins fan, or worse yet - a RANGERS fan:-(
     If you see your child start to waiver, and he/she utters phrases such as, "I  like the way Peyton Manning plays", or "Derek Jeter is a great player", you need to nip it in the bud.  Acceptable responses would be, "yes but he turns into a mean werewolf at night", or "he has really bad gas".
     If you happened to be a woman married to a Cowboys fan and you live in Philadelphia, or vice versa with the man/woman part, you're in a tough situation.  The 1st thing I would recommend is an amicable seperation with joint custody:-)  If that is not an option, you need to fight this battle and you need to WIN this battle for your child's team loyalty.  The lyrics of the song are not "root  root root for the Away team."  A healthy love of the home teams are essential to a child's sense of belonging and community.  So let's go parents...do the right thing!  Hopefully OPM lets me do this again, and I might even talk about a more serious topic....and I might not!

No comments:

Post a Comment