sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Disappointment

I found out today that I didn't get picked to be a blogger for ING Direct.
They chose 5 people from everyone (hopefully there were more than 6 of us!) who applied to write a monthly blog on their We the Savers blog for a year and get $200 a month deposited into their savings accout. Cool, right?

I figured it was a long shot, but there for awhile I was sort of hoping I'd get picked. $200 a month certainly doesn't change anyone's life (wait, that's not true - there were many times $200 a month felt about as reachable as $1,000,000.00) drastically, but it certainly would've started a nice cushion in my son's "jump start to life" fund (I've decided not to call it a college fund in my own mind, read here to find out why).

Please, please don't think that we're unable to support ourselves or anything like that - as a matter of fact we do deliberately save each month and are able to do most of what we want to do (including occasional vacations), its just we've never had to THINK about it so much before!

So that extra $200 a month probably woud've been most successful at helping us keep on not thinking, maybe not what we should be aiming for, but it still would've been nice.

Tonight we actually looked at the real numbers (not just what we think they are) and we have every reason to believe we'll be able to reach our goals. If we work toward them.

Which is how goals work. I'm fairly certain I can learn a language, run a 5K, wake up and make it to work on time more days that not, or whatever else I want to accomplish. But I can't accomplish any of those things just by thinking, I have to actually take action at some point.

So we'll reach our financial goals. We're just going to have to do it the old fashion way. By putting our minds to it and DOING IT!

Darn!

No comments:

Post a Comment