sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Working from home means no snow days!

So we're getting ready for another 12 - 18" of snow in the Philadelphia area.

Many of my friends and co-workers are secretlly (or not so secretly) hoping like small schoolchildren that Wednesday or Thursday (or both!!!) will end up being snow days. This is one of the very few downsides to working from home - I can not in good conscience not work. Since my commute is merely to my kitchen table or desk (depending on how I feel) I can't really not work on acount of the snow.

What it DOES mean is that, I'll be able to get some work done without feeling like I need to constantly check my email and voicemail to be sure I'm not missing some crucial request. It also means that Daddy will probably be home a day or two, which will be fun. He can help manage the baby (who's getting more and more interested in my laptop. He'll be typing before pre-school, I'm sure!) and dogs (one of whom has started sneaking out of the yard.)

I am still not-at-all secretly hoping for a snow day on Thursday though. I am taking a vacation day, but my company has a great policy - if you're taking vacation and they close the office for a snow day, you get the vacation day back! Who doesn't love a free day off? Especially since Thursday will be my packing and cooking day to get ready for the trip. If I can manage to get ready for vacation and not have to take a vacation day, I'll be very happy!

Good luck with the snow and shoveling, here's hoping for a snow day! Or two!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. I worked from home all week while everyone played on Wednesday and Thursday. However, working from home any other day of the year makes it so worth it. On a beautiful summer day, I can take my laptop out on the porch and work from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, I love the idea of working on the porch in the summer! Thanks for the great tip, that will get me through these snow days!

    ReplyDelete