sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Friday, May 13, 2011

A painful lesson in growing up...

Yesterday was a rough day for my 10 year old niece, as is today and will be tomorrow as well.

She received a ferret for Christmas, whom she adored, and on Wednesday, in a terrible accident, her ferret died. He was accidentally caught in a closing car door and died from his injuries, but the details aren't important.

A young person whom I love is learning some very grown up lessons in loss, pain, blame, forgiveness, regret, sorrow.

And no one can take that away for her. She is an energetic, loving force and she was so proud of her pet and taking care of him. I can not stop thinking about her and the literal heartbreak she is feeling now.

Sure, there are likely to be bigger, worse ones later in life, but I so wish I could wave a magic wand for her and take her back to when things were right. When her friend could snuggle with her, romp with her on the yard, greet her after a day of school.

Sweet girl, if I could hold that pain and carry it for you, if just for a moment, I would. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment