sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

We're just human after all...

So we've just returned from vacation to fabulous Mexico. One Philly Son was fabulous on the planes and loved, loved, loved the beaches and pools. Honestly this resort was wonderful for kids.

The staff adored him, going out of their way to say hello/hola, to talk to him, give him things to play with. There were plenty of activities that he was too young to do, but this resort would be great for kids of any age.

On our return flight there was a man who I assume is ill. He traveled in a wheel chair and his wife (I assume again) was carrying what appeared to be oxygen for him. I noticed he was wearing a hat that read "Cancer Sucks Team Bob". My assumptions continue to conclude that this man is sick, suffering from some form of cancer and that he and his wife took a trip together to spend some time out of hospitals and chemotherapy rooms. We happened to ride the elevator to the baggage claim together (a young boy in his stroller, a sick man in his wheelchair, enough to give anyone something to reflect on) and his wife's purse was open enough for me to see a pack of cigarettes.

I hope my mouth didn't gape open when I saw the cigarettes.

But it got me to thinking. My first reaction was how, even when we know the right thing to do, we don't always do it. Eating vegetables, working out, etc, etc, etc. I was a bit appalled at this woman. (Again, admittedly totally based on assumptions) Here is her husband bravely battling cancer and she's still SMOKING?!?!?! How dare she?!?!?!

But immediately after it got me to thinking about our humanity. Our flawed, imperfect, try as hard as we can and still not perfect, human selves. If my assumptions are correct, this couple could literally be fighting for their life together. I can not imagine the strain, fear, struggle or anything else they are going through. And, clearly, I have no idea of their story, situation, life or anything else. For all I know he sprained his ankle running on the beach and the oxygen was a fancy case of tequila.

Who the heck am I to judge based on what I think I saw?

The truth of the matter is, I don't know anything about that couple, other than that they smiled at my son in the elevator and rode on a plane back from Mexico with me.

So I'm embracing my imperfect humanity, embracing that I don't have all the answers (actually, I probably don't have any of them...) and patiently waiting for the answers to be revealed in their due time...

No comments:

Post a Comment