sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Friday, September 10, 2010

Home decorating with kids

Pre-kid, I occasionally marveled at the homes of those with children.

I marveled at the toys everywhere. I marveled at how much these grown adults had shrunk their lives to accommodate the tiny people.

I've always loved kids and wanted them, so it was rarely a judgement of cleanliness or something along those lines, though occasionally I thought the sheer quantity of toys was a bit overdone.

I couldn't see myself transforming my house into the play land that I saw so many other's homes become.

And now that my son is just over a year, I get it.

The love for my son is the most unconditional, giving love I've ever experienced. I want him to feel safe, happy, excited, adored (within healthy reason), and that he belongs here.

So my house has become a toy land for One Philly Son.

We rearranged and got rid of furniture to make more room for his toys, hung signs on walls, purchased swings, slides and sandboxes. Wine glasses have been relocated to boxes in the basement to make room for bottles, sippy cups and colorful spoons. Our "office" has been moved to the cold basement.

Even though he's only a year, I'm already painfully aware that my time with my son is limited. One day he will grow up, move on, and move out. At which time, I can redecorate and put away picture books and singing Elmo's and bouncy seats. Until then, I'm content to have my son's toys and books outnumber my candles, picture frames and knick-knacks. I'll leave his birthday decorations hung up as long as he'll laugh at them, and until we get a house with more storage, most of my wine glasses will live out their days in the basement.

And all that seems like just the way it should be...

What changes did you make that you didn't understand pre-kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment