sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Swap party

This weekend was a pretty busy weekend. We had a 2nd birthday party on Saturday and cheered on friends of ours who ran the Frost Bite 5-miler in the morning. We also stopped by our travel agent to confirm details for a trip to Mexico we just booked for November. It is my husband and my favorite vacation spot, and we can't wait to take our son.

Since our son is an early riser, regardless of what time Mommy and Daddy go to sleep, our weekends are a bit more productive (sometimes). Both Saturday and Sunday of this weekend we were all up at 6am, though we did manage to get a 7 am - 9 am family nap in the morning. (How do we make that a tradition, I wonder?) So I also managed to finally get the salt and boot prints off my floors. And make a dent in the laudry, though there's still more to do.

And today, Mommy got some solo-time! (Don't worry, I adore my son and husband. And two dogs. And cat. And phone. And house. But sometimes, its nice to be away from all that love!) I finally made it to my friend's Swap party. She's had 3, and because of pregnancy, and then brand-spankin' new motherhood (he was like a month old at the last one), this was the first one I could attend.

The philosophy of a Swap Party is simple, but brilliant. Gather all your unwanted but still loveable items. Bring them together with all your friends unwanted but still loveable items, and SWAP! Today people brought clothes, shoes, household items, makeup, you name it. Everything gets sorted into category, and then, you shop!

I brought a bag of clothes (you know, the clothes that are still so cute but that you feel incredibly uncute in them? Either they're a smidge too small, or I'm a smidge too old to being wearing...), a wall mounted jewelry amoire (that I love, but my home has plaster walls, and I had nightmares of it falling off), and a box of vacation-read Romance novels to swap.

I came home with 1 pair of shoes, 3 AWESOME skirts, a box of 10 matched picture frames in various sizes, a dress, a wallet, and a sleeveless sweater the same color as 3 other shirts I already have, but love, love, love. Along with a bracelet and a necklace in a similiar color....

Remaining items get donated or saved up for the next swap. (Kudos to the Swap planners, its a lot of work to manage the left behind items...)

A Swap Party is great fun because its like shopping but its free (love the price) and without the hassle of the Mall, and its great quality time with friends. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment