sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Record breaking snow storms to become family lore

Well, Philly, here we go, another big snow storm is raging outside our doors. Is anyone else ready for Spring? I know I sure am.

Part of me knows that, no matter how much this weather annoys me, and traps me inside (a blessing and a curse for the working-from-home-Mom. I'm sometimes so happy to get out of the house, I get a little too dressed up for pediatrician visits..), I'll always remember this winter fondly. Of course, its the year my son was born and practically everyday is fillled with firsts.

But I expect that this winter will eventually take on a practically mythical state. If my son is anything like me when I was a child, I expect he'll be fascinated with stories about himself, about his life. About where and when he came from. He'll be fascinated because he won't be able to imagine Mommy and Daddy without him (after all, he's always known us as Mommy and Daddy) I expect he'll hear stories about the year of the "record-breaking" snow storms in Philadelphia, his first year, and be fascinated and amazed.

For us, this record-breaking snow fall will be woven into the story of my family. Walking to a friend's house with him bundled in the Baby Bjorn. The storm before Christmas, when we tried to have our Holiday Party and he was dressed as Santa, but only our friends within walking distance could make it (we still had a great time). The extra days Mommy and Daddy got to stay home because no one was going to work.

These will become my family's story.

So I guess this next snow storm (and the next, and the next...) will still annoy me, but part of me is also gathering little bits of story and wonder to share with my son when he asks me "what happened when I was a baby?"

No comments:

Post a Comment