sky's the limit

sky's the limit
"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?" - Rumi

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pure joy in my son's laughter

Today was a day that started ok and ended in pure joy. (Isn't that funny how that happens sometimes?)

We all managed to leave for work and daycare on time, maybe even a minute or two early (don't say that outloud or it will never happen again!). I couldn't find my good leather gloves though (a Christmas present from my mother-in-law a few years ago, and for some reason, these gloves make me feel fabulous. Cashmere lined leather could do that for a girl.).

Work was busy, trying to cram in a few days worth of "office" work into one. But I managed to get the tasks that absolutely have to be done in the office, done. Phew, a success.

Once I got home, though, things got better and better and better. I'm sorry to admit that isn't always the case. Not because of "home" per se, but because I find it diffucult to leave the stress of the day at the door, or probably more likely, I feel like I have to do the dishes, laundry, etc, etc, etc, before I am allowed to relax and enjoy my family.

Since I am being honest, I will tell you that my floors are covered in bootprints and salt from the recent storms, I still have loads of laundry to do from our trip (even some from long before the weekend), a sink full of dirty dishes (but a dishwasher full of clean ones), at least a hamper full of dirty baby clothes (and one poopy sleeper, from a "rear to ear" poop, is soaking) and probably a diaper pail in need of emptying.

But today I came home to a husband who'd scheduled my car for service tomorrow (thanks honey!), a Valentine "from" my son (Play and Learn, his daycare, sends home projects and gifts for the parents at the holidays. This one was a card and a cute Valentine themed snow globe.). In addition to scheduling the car for service, my husband had already fed our son dinner (he's up to Gerber's Sweet Potatoes, probably the cause of that poop) so we could all go out to dinner. So off we all went to dinner.

At dinner my son was cute and sweet - cooing and laughing, alternately trying to eat his toys and tossing them on the floor. The women at the table next to us announced we should be a magazine shoot, we were such a cute family. (Never bad for the ego...)

And after dinner we came home to get baby ready for bed. After a lengthy session of blow-belly and the purest laughs I've ever heard, our son was off to sleep.

By far, my favorite part of any day, is the sound of pure joy. The laugh that is real and genuine and such an honest expression of joy that it is involuntary. Such joy to me means we are safe, because in my experience it is hard to freely express joy when you are afraid, or sad or feel threatened or unsure in anyway. So to hear my son laugh, so purely and freely, fills me with joy and peace.

I hope you got your "laugh" today - whatever it is that brings you joy and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment